Monday 16 December 2013

How my research has informed my planning.

How my research has informed my planning?

The research we did looking into thriller conventions and traditions, thus allowed me to view previous works from directors and studios producing thriller, ranging from the classic Hitchcock's Physcho to Henry Rubin's latest thriller, Disconnect. The thriller ideas have been transferred from my research to the ideas that I and my group have put forward in our thriller opening. Ideas such as the slow motion scene have been transferred from the slow motion scene as seen below:

Then below you can see a rough copy of a response to this Slow Motion scene where I got the idea from to include in the storyboard. This Slow Motion effect was made possible by shooting at 50 fps (frame per second) rather than the standard 24/25 fps. 


That scene is an example of how my research into thriller conventions and actions has helped to the production of my thriller opening. Looking at my survey that I too asked my audience ask my research, one question I asked was as follows

"Do you prefer a male lead or female lead actor in Thrillers?"

In our thriller we used Tom as our actor, showing that we acknowledged that from our research there the audience would prefer a male actor and so therefore we removed the only female from the story in order to suit our conventions but also to please our audience. 

Lighting was also a part of discussion because we wanted to keep to thriller conventions however we failed to be able to keep to the conventional pitch black conditions because the camera we were shooting with was not capable of being able to capture something in dark conditions without producing a grainy film (see here) and unfortunately this is what we found the first time around whilst shooting however when it came to shooting for the second time, we revised our storyboard, adding in a light this time though, this began to move away from the traditional torture scene that would be found in Thrillers however we believe it still worked because it did not illuminate the whole area that we were shooting in. 


Another question that was outlined in my survey was what certificate of movie my audience preferred, this allowed me to view what was acceptable to include, most Thrillers are often classified as a 15 certificate as they do not contain gore alike Horrors do. The certificate that was most popular was a 15 and thus I aimed to keep to Thriller conventions whilst building up my storyboard and I did so by the use of tension in the opening but mainly through the more adult and mature themes of torture and being tied up, see below for a snippet from the final storyboard: 





1 comment:

  1. I am pleased to see you have responded to my initial feedback and now have a clearer focus on how your research has impacted on your planning and production.

    ReplyDelete